Though visiting your weight loss center can be a powerful way to stay motivated, your medical weight loss doctor’sguidance will not be available every day. As you work towards your weight loss goals, it will be up to you to stay dedicated to healthy habits and maintain the positive outlook that will propel your progress.
From inspiring quotes to the kind words of a close friend, you may find many sources of motivation during medical weight loss, but few things will light a spark under your fitness routine quite like music. If you’ve ever wondered why every other exerciser at your gym is glued to a pair of headphones, the answer is simple: good songs have an unrivaled ability to get us moving.
Many studies have examined the effects of music on our minds. Researchers have concluded that listening to energetic songs during exercise can help you:
- Reduce your perception of effort and fatigue
- Boost your endurance and excitement
- Enjoy any activity more
All you need to experience these benefits is a great playlist and a way to listen to it. To start building the ultimate exercise playlist, you’ll need to find songs with:
- Energetic beats. Synchronizing steps to the steady rhythm of an up-tempo tune can be a great way to push your pace. Studies show us that the best tempo for exercise music lies between 120 and 140 beats per minute (BPM). Though it isn’t necessary to meticulously design your playlist to these parameters, smartphone apps like Cadence make it easy to match the tempo of your music to the tempo of your workout.
- Meaningful lyrics. The words of a song can be just as motivating as the beat beneath them. Find songs with lyrics that resonate deeply with you, songs that suggest success or the positive attitude you’re trying to maintain. This will depend entirely on your personal preference, so take a moment to think about the artists who inspire you most.
- Familiarity. The more we listen to a song, the more we tend to like it, and the bigger motivational boost we will get from listening to it. Pick a few favorite songs that never fail to get your blood pumping. Think of what you might put on if you were DJing a dance party or creating the soundtrack to an action-packed movie.
Of course, you’ll need more than just a few songs. Make your playlist long enough to keep you motivated through your entire workout and continue adding new tracks and making new playlists that keep you motivated to move.
What songs have inspired you most to stick with your medical weight loss doctor’s fitness recommendations? Share your favorite tracks in the comments below!